Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Blog #11

After Discussion Reflection:

I was not present in class for the discussion so I cannot give a reflection on the discussion.

Question:

I feel that Wabi-Sabi is reinforced by Shudan Ishiki because once part of the group begins to find beauty in something, the whole group goes with it. They might not truly find the beauty in something, however, they do not want to fight against the group-ism that is so prevalent within the culture.

Citations:

1. Nemawashi

  a. "It is very hard to decide on something in Japan where there is no unanimity, and consideration of relationships with coworkers is crucial to the success or failure of important projects. Thus, maneuvering behind the scenes is very important for the Japanese before proceeding," Pg. 160

I find this to be very odd. I feel that in such an environment, no work could ever be accomplished. Yet, somehow the Japanese industries are one of the biggest within the world. I believe that we as Americans would never go for such a way of getting the job done. We tend to have a person say what to do, and then have others do what they are told. Instead of a all for one kind of way of accomplishing things, its more of a top to bottom process. However, since both are so well accomplished, neither should change their ways, but should be aware of each others business procedures.

  b. "the Japanese tend to make most decisions before discussing them at a meeting because people attending meetings often feel uncomfortable being too open and forthright or find it difficult to state their own opinions frankly" Pg. 161

With my knowledge of Japanese culture in consideration, this makes complete sense. This all goes back to the ideal of Shudan Ishiki, and not wanting to speak out against the group. So by making the decisions outside of the meeting, they avoid any awkward situations. However, I feel that in America this would seem very weird. The idea of meeting, as I understand it and as do many others, is to openly discuss a topic and try to come up with some sort of resolve that the majority find to be the correct procedure. You bounce ideas back and forth, not just have a formal appearance to agree upon something you already know you agree on. I personally prefer the American style of a meeting.

2. Sempai-kohai

  a. "In Japanese companies, the system of wages and promotions is based on seniority rules. The older people become, the more they earn or the greater their chances for promotion." Pg. 188

I feel this system might work for them, but would never be valued in an American business setting. We tend to value ability more than the Japanese due. While age is a factor that can help lead to more experience in a field, the abilities you have are also weighed in such decisions like a promotion. I personally want to be evaluated on my ability and not my age. For instance, I have a friend who has been building computers since he was 8. I would value him more than a 25 year old with a 4 year degree, him only being 21.

  b. "Sempai-kohai relationships have deeply permeated Japanese life, but they are starting to change in schools an business organizations. Sempai used to be respected by kohai because of their experience, but lately kohai do not express as high a regard to seniors as in the past." Pg. 192

This is something we are seeing in pretty much all cultures. The modern young adult has a sense of superiority. I am not saying I am above this in anyway, but it is relevant in today's society and structure. I feel that we as Westerns, may have influenced the Japanese in this regard and have given the youth a sense of superiority. I know that it is clearly seen in our youth, me being one of them.

3. Iitoko dori 

  a. "With time,however, people noticed that if they believed in Buddhism, the emperor system was denied, for it was through original Shinto myths that the emperor's family maintained its position of the highest status in Japan. This presented a serious problem not only for the royal family but also for the Japanese political system at he time. In the seventh century, Prince Shotoku, who was a nephew of Emperor Suiko, occupied the regency and discovered a way of permitting Buddhism and the emperor system to coexist," Pg. 128

I think this was able to hold water in Japan because of the ideal of group think. No one would speak out against it because it works within their pr-established way of life and thinking. I personally don't agree with this. I am very for secularism, separation of church and state. By manipulating the situation in a way to have such control over the state through religion is just wrong to me. However, I feel many Americans would understand this concept, since so many try to justify laws and policies through their religious beliefs.

  b. "Iitoko-dori, then, refers specifically to this process of accepting convenient parts of different, and sometimes contradictory, religious value, systems, and this practice has long been widespread in Japan. In modern times, Sakaiya notes that the number of Japanese people who do not admit to following some form of iitoko-dori is only about 0.5 percent of the population."

I personally kind of find this idea funny. The idea of not liking certain parts of religion so you ignore them is something I get at on some of my friends who are religious. I find the whole concept kind of hypocritical. However, many people do this, within our nation do this all the time, finding the rules they want to follow and the ones they don't. I think it is within human nature to do this. I do not really know why this occurs within the Japanese for cultural reasons, but as I already said I think its just a thing people do.


No comments:

Post a Comment