Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Blog #5

After Discussion Reflection:

I felt this discussion was overall good, I didn't agree with everything that was said, however I definitely enjoy being challenged and seeing a different opinion to an idea I have. I feel like I was a little out of it because I wasn't feeling well but that is the life of a student.

Bushido:

a) "Thus, the spiritual elements of bushido come from Zen Buddhism, and Zen religious practices were used by samurai to train physically and mentally. They acquired skill in improving their military acts in a way that kept the mind calm, whatever happened, through Zen." pg 43

I found this very interesting. I never would have guessed that Zen Buddhism would be the backbone of such a famous force of military power. The idea of committing yourself to this way of thinking and life would not sit well with most Americans. I feel that we, at least my generation, overall do not devote ourselves so much to our ways of life. We are, in general, a generation that looks for an easier way to achieve our goals, and would not put in the time in order to reach such a highly developed way of living. However, this does give me more insight into how the samurais were as powerful and skilled as they were to be told.

b)  "Moreover, in modern times, some Japanese are driven to commit suicide when they want to clear an unsavory reputation or when they want to apologize for their sins or mistakes in their company or family. The Japanese people tend to accept and even glorify these kinds of suicides and feel sympathy for the victims..." pg 48

I have to say  I find this quite appalling. I have always been taught life is precious. No matter what the world throws at you, if you are able to get through it, you will come out a stronger and wiser person. This idea that it is "accepted and glorified" is very shocking to me and I would even say dangerous. I know that many other Americans, especially teens who are growing up in a world of confusion due to hormones, peer pressure, etc, would state just the same thing. I honestly think this shows us why Japan's teenage suicide rate is so high. Out of the many aspects of bushido,this one, in my opinion, is the worst to still remain in a modern society.

Giri:

a) "if you receive a present from someone, you should return something which is of equal value" pg 97

I feel that this is not the same in the United States. While we would like to try and be giving gifts close to the same value as those who we are receiving them from, it is not always the case with people. There have been many times when I have given a gift to someone out of the sheer want to give a gift and see them enjoy it. However, I do not always expect a gift in return. There's a saying in the United States, "it's the thought that counts." This really does apply to our general way of thinking about giving and receiving gifts. Also, I feel that we appreciate gifts that are sentimental rather than by the price-tag and this concept can make it hard to give a gift of "equal value." I can see why this applies in Japanese culture, since it has been ingrained into their ways of life for many, many years; however, I do not see it being exactly equivalent in American culture.

b) "Chinese religious ritual was thus transformed into a custom of gift exchange in Japan..." pg 98

I picked this quote because it reminded me of the Western holiday known as Christmas. I found it funny that two separate cultures can come to the same end means of taking a religious holiday and turning it into a way of giving gifts. I feel that most Americans could understand this idea of giving gifts on a holiday but maybe not to the extent that they do it. We do it not really out of obligation most of the time but out of the want to "bless" someone with a gift. However, it seems in Japan it is practically mandatory for them to do so. Overall though, I feel it is really cool to see that Japanese culture and Western culture can develop very similarly, it definitely shows  we are not that all different.

The Japanese ie System:

a) "...the Japanese adoption system had two main goals: (I) to obtain an heir to succeed to the ownership of the land and property, and (II) to ensure the performance of proper rites for the sake of the family's ancestors." pg 121

I find this system for adoption very peculiar. Adoption, within our culture, has always been a way for families to provide care for a child that has lost his/her parents in one way or another. While, at times, it has been a way for people who are unable to to have their own kids, this basis of adoption can still be applied. It seems very foreign to me to want to adopt someone for the sole purpose of continuing the family line and making sure your ancestors are properly worshiped and such. However, once you understand how important these are to the people of Japan, it is easy to see how this system came to be. It really reflects how important the family name is and the deepness of their religious customs.

b) "On the other hand, women still tend to avoid eldest sons when they marry, because the eldest son has to take care of his parents in the ie system." pg 124

I never thought that this could be a thing in a modern day super power. For me, I know that I will marry the person I love, no matter what their family obligations are. I feel that in America, we value the connection with a person over their family ties. Also, we don't really have a system for who has to take care of our parents. It feels like in our culture, if there is any sort of obligation to do so, it seems to be more divided equally among all the children rather than just the eldest son. However, once again, the fact that this is still a factor in Japanese life, this allows us to see how much their culture is based on traditional values that date way back. I feel that seeing this allows us to better understand the Japanese way of life.

Omiai:

a) "The wishes of the people who were getting married were most often ignored, and sometimes the couple did not even meet each other until the day of their wedding." pg 166

I feel that I could never go through such a marriage. To me, marriage has always been the ultimate way to show that you have love and affection for a person. It is one of the biggest things you can do to show your devotion to someone by getting married. Under a system of an arranged marriage, I would feel that this would not be so. However, I can see the reasoning behind it and I feel most Americans could see it as well. That being said, I do not feel many Americans would feel okay with such an arrangement because there is a very individualized outlook on life and this would be too "controlling and suppressing" for the average American. This really shows how important the ie system was in Japan, even though it didn't stem from that but rather was solidified by it. Overall, I do not feel I could ever be apart of such an arrangement, but I can see why it has been so and continues to be in modern day Japan.

b) "People do not have to suffer many of the negative consequences of dating, such as finding opportunities to meet others or suffering face-to-face rejection. Japanese people are often very busy and do not have the time or energy to meet and date a variety of prospective partners, so omiai provides a means of overcoming this obstacle." pg 167

I can completely understand this reasoning on why this practice is still in use today. We all know what it is like to go through the dating system and to put it short and sweet, it's a bitch. Heartbreak can definitely be one of the worst things to experience and I can understand the want to avoid this. Every American honestly could probably agree that they would rather just find the person that they love their first try and never have to suffer through the trials that is the single life. However, part of getting to know someone is going through the time to go out on dates, to show that you are willing to make time for a person, so that in the future you will have to time to be there when you are needed. So I do have some reserves on this reasoning. However, understanding that the Japanese value their work, I can see why such a train of thought could be accepted by the populous. The more time they can devote to their work, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment